Media Release: Public Meetings for National Gateway Clearance Projects in Allegheny, Bedford, and Somerset Counties
March 9, 2010
Quality Inn Conference Center
215 Ramada Road
Somerset, PA 15501
March 4, 2010
University Club at Pitt
123 University Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Time: 4:30 p.m.to 7:30 p.m. Open House Format
CSX Transportation (CSXT) will host two public open houses to discuss the National Gateway rail infrastructure enhancements.
The initiative involves bridge replacements, tunnel work, and track lowerings along CSXTs railroad between Coraopolis and Hyndman, Pennsylvania to obtain necessary vertical clearance required to allow more efficient and environmentally beneficial double-stack trains to pass. The following clearance projects are planned to occur in the following counties and require the following work:
- Remove the walkway over the CSXT railroad line.
- Lower tracks at Ohio Central Railroad Bridge.
- Modify portions of the bridge over Chartiers Creek.
- Lower tracks at the Smithfield Street Bridge.
- Remove and rebuild portions of the J&L Tunnel.
- Lower tracks at Walnut Street (SR 0048) Bridge.
- Open cut Benford and Shoofly Railroad Tunnels, CSXT owned property in Confluence will be used to place material removed from tunnels.
- Modify Brook Railroad Tunnel.
- Modify Pinkerton Railroad Tunnel. CSXT owned property in Rockwood (Black Township) will be used to place material removed from tunnel.
- Replace bridge at Church Street.
- Raise portions of the Blue Lick Truss/ Keystone Viaduct bike and hike path bridge.
- Modify Sand Patch and Falls Cut Railroad Tunnels, CSXT owned property in Sand Patch will be used to place material removed from tunnels.
- Modify portions of the bridge over Wills Creek.
The purpose of these meetings is to present and discuss the proposed improvement project with the general public, residents, business and property owners and public officials and to solicit public comments. The Somerset meeting will discuss the Somerset and Bedford County projects. The Pittsburgh meeting will discuss the Allegheny County sites as well as those located in Confluence, Somerset County. Parking will be validated at the Soldiers and Sailors Parking Garage, across from the University Club at the Pittsburgh meeting location.
Representatives from CSXT and consulting engineers will be present to discuss the proposed project, right-of-way acquisition process, environmental considerations as well as address any questions and concerns regarding this proposed transportation improvement project. The projects are scheduled for construction in 2010 and 2011. Detailed closure and detour information for affected public roads will be available at the public meeting for projects that have impacts to public travelled roads.
The public meeting will be rescheduled if the county in which the meeting is located has a "Snow Emergency Plan" in effect on the day of the meeting, or if the county's public schools have been closed and evening activities canceled.